-->

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March 12. Day 71. Never too old

Turning 18 really is a big deal. Old enough to drink. Old enough to vote. But rarely old enough to know better.
I teach a lot of 18-year-olds. In many ways they are so much older and wiser than I was at the same age (which isn't saying a lot because although I thought I knew EVERYTHING I now know I knew every little about the things that matter).
Not today's kids. They have access to so much so early that it is easy to forget that they are really just kids, kids in adult bodies but kids just the same.
Often when I walk through South Bank Parklands in the middle of the day it will be the students and not the kids playing on the swings.
Today it was birthday girl Yesim and her friends from Southbank Institute of TAFE who were getting into the swing of things.
Such youthful exuberance proving that growing older is compulsory but growing up, that's strictly optional and why rush it?

No comments:

Post a Comment